Monday, January 24, 2011

Mixed Feelings

Recently Tween told me that he would like to go to a Performing Arts Charter School. I have a ton of mixed feelings on this subject. Perhaps you guys can weigh in. I know some of you are educators and may have a better idea.

First off we are planning on going to the open house they are having tomorrow night to get more information and talk to the staff.

Tween is very talented. I am not just saying that because I am his mum, I am saying that because he is. For example, he was in the high school play in second grade. I have also shared some video's here before of his singing.

I like the idea that he has always been in the same school district, had the same friends and participated in many of the activities available at the school. I enjoy watching him in marching band and going to his show choir performances and soccer games. I like knowing he is close to home if he needs something. I like knowing the school and the teachers.

On the other side I totally admire him for being able to step out of his comfort zone and pursue his dreams. There are 3 other students from our school that have transferred to the charter school so he would know a few kids. He dreams of making it to Broadway some day and this would help him get a better base. He would major in Musical Theatre.

Another negative is that it would be a little over an hour ride to and from school for him each day. The positive is that there is a bus hub about 10 miles down the road so I wouldn't have to drive him far.

I know I am being selfish in wanting him to stay here, close to home where I know everyone and I feel they are secure.

I know that this is his dream and his decision. I am so proud of him for being able to step out and take chance. He is easy going and makes friends quickly and fits in with most every one so I am not worried about him being shunned at the new place.

But I am not sure he realizes that everything will change for him. His friends, his school work, his life.

I have asked him to pray about it and I have been praying also for direction.

What are your thoughts? And no there is no cost to us other than transporting him to the bus hub. So money is not an issue to consider.

I will have more information after the open house tomorrow.



Tracie said...

WOW~ That is a major decision! Sounds like a prayer is in order. Good luck!

Shannon said...

I know it will be hard but if it's truly what his heart desires, I would let him. It would be such a great experience- a place for him to truly let his God given talents shine. I will be praying for you and for him!

Becca said...

He is a kid for only so long, encourage this dream. Who knows how far it might carry him. He might become a star one day!

Heidi said...

WOW! I totally get your fears! I would be feeling the same way! It's definitely something that I would be praying about and that God would ease my fears if it were His will. I think one of the hardest parts of being a mom is letting go! (I know it is for me) I'll be praying for you guys!

Chris said...

My gut feeling would be to let him go, especially if its his passion. And now is the time for him to see if he has what it takes to take his dreams to the next level. Pray about it and I'm sure God will open/close the appropriate doors. :)

Crystal said...

That is such a tough decision, but it sounds as if you already know the answer. Let him go. He has an opportunity to pursue his passion! You know he has a good head on his shoulders and has thought this through (well, as much as you can before you actually experience it).

And he has talent!! From one who used to have those dreams...thank you for thinking of him and encouraging him. Even if he doesn't go; he has to know his mom is behind him 100%. :)

Anonymous said...

I believe it will be the opportunity that Josh needs to expand his talent and specialize the direction he will excell in. Yes, he will miss his friends, but he does texting and he will have so many new friends with the same interests as his. GO FOR IT JOSH!!


Vonnie said...

What an oppurtunity! Wise momma Stacy in advising him to pray about it. I think it's awesome that he has the oppurtunity and hope it works out if that is where God leads him.

Jen said...

No brainer - reach for the stars, Josh!

Dory said...

Of course, I'd totally be praying about it if he was my child and I was faced with this decision. You'll know what to do. But, that being said: I agree... if he really wants this - let him go.

Tween said...

thanks for all the prayers guys i really appriate it and i have been praying about it and i think pretty sure im going that is if they except me.

The Hat Chick said...

Hi! This is my first visit to your blog and I'm happy I stumbled here. I am the mother of a 10yr old competitive-ballroom-dancing boy. If our area had performing arts school for his age, he would be there (and yes, the performing arts high school is an hour away). Let him go. If things don't work out, he can always transfer back to his old school. Spread those wings!