Wednesday, June 2, 2010

June 2

Today's prompt: What is your favorite poem?

I'm not quite sure I have a favorite poem. Although I am not big on poetry, I can pick a few that I do like for various reasons.

Naturally there is Robert Frost - The Road Not Taken - I think everyone at one time or another had to read this in school. And this poem is also used a lot in Commencement speeches.

I have always been fascinated with darker subjects as well, which brings me to Edgar Allan Poe - The Raven - This is not his only work that I like. He is probably the poet/author I remember most from Literature classes. Perhaps reading him in high school is where I got my love of horror movies. I loved reading - The Cask of Amontillado, The Murders in the Rue Morgue, The Fall of the House of Usher (and the movie with Vincent Price was good too), and who doesn't know The Tell-Tale Heart?

Then there are the complete opposite with Emily Dickinson - Hope is the Thing With Feathers how beautiful and thought provoking are her poems.

But one I remember reading the most (besides Poe) has to be Helen Steiner Rice - This Too Shall Pass. Her poems were everywhere at my Grandma's. I may even still have a poetry book of hers on the shelf from my Grandma's collection. I remember also reading her work in a magazine I think was called Reflections?

And of course the poems that I read the most now would have to be the Psalms and Proverbs in the Bible.

Even though I couldn't pick just one poem, is there one that is your favorite?

Stacy

1 comment:

Becca said...

Great answers! I am doing the month this month, too! Go check out mine!