Tuesday, June 1, 2010

June 1

I have really gotten out of the habit of blogging a few times a week lately and have fallen more into the once a month. I want to change that and go back to blogging more often. So I am going to try to do the June NaBloPoMo to get me going again. The theme for June is Now and they are also giving daily prompts. That can be a big help if I get stuck. This month will be sprinkled with some of the prompts and some of my own stuff.

I'll start with a prompt though: When you were little, what did you want to be when you grew up?

Hmmm....I can remember wanting to be a teacher. I played school a lot. I remember the girl down the street, Kelly, who had a blackboard and everything in her playroom and we would trade off being the student and the teacher.

I can also remember wanting to be a mom. But that is probably most girls dreams.

And a funny one I remember wanting to be was a private investigator. It was the time of Remington Steele (who, btw, I was going to marry) and Moonlighting.

One thing I didn't want to be was a nurse. My mum is a nurse and I heard too many horror stories. Not just about patients, but the doctors and the industry in general.

The funny part about that last one is when I worked in the orthodontist office, I really really loved it. I loved the patients and the constant change but yet the same.

I have considered taking classes to be a CNA (Certified Nursing Assistant) but as much as I love the elderly and would love talking with them and helping them, changing adult diapers and bathing them does not appeal to me in the least.

So for now I will work in an office until I can find a way to get where I want to be. I recently figured that out, just have to see how it plays out in the future.

So, when you were little, what did you want to be when you grew up?

Stacy

7 comments:

Crystal said...

I always wanted to be a marine biologist. I loved dolphins, whales, and sharks. I watched every show about marine life and read every book in the school library. As I got a little older I decided I wanted to be a psychologist and even started college with that as my major. Now, I just don't know anymore. I love being a mom more than anything, but they grow up before we know it. As much as I love Law, some soul searching this last year has shown me that I want to do something that really helps people in some capacity. I guess it's going to take some more thinking! Nice post!

ShanaM said...

I LOVED Remington Steel.

I remember it was grade3 when were asked that question and I couldn't think of anything so I said 'a mom' and I think the teacher was disappointed. (I didn't want to say teacher or nurse like everyone else)

Becca said...

I wanted to be a wife and mom. Kind of got there through a round about way. I never thought that I would be the mom of a special needs child, or that I would have my heart so broken by the first person who I thought loved me. Now I have an almost 28 year old daughter out there that doesn't know me, and most likely never will. I came to terms with that. But my life has definitely not been what I thought that it would be.

Glad that you are back to blogging!

Dory said...

Hmmmm, I don't know about when I was "little" but currently I'm thinking that when I grow up, I want to be either a 1)photographer 2)a yarn shop owner or 3)work with animals.

Because you know, I haven't quite grown up yet. :o)

Jen said...

When I was very young, I believed wholeheartedly that I would someday be Miss America.

Then, I wanted to be a teacher.

I didn't choose nursing - the college advisor told me it was the fastest way to make good money in the least amount of time. So, I signed up. Now, I cannot imagine doing anything else.

And I never, ever had that maternal longing to be a mom. I am happy I have children now, but it was never something I felt destined to become. Weird, I know.

Chris said...

I always new I wanted to be a programmer. Just didn't know there'd be a whole corporate culture to go with it.

And as far back as I can remember, I never wanted to be a mom.

Shannon said...

As a child I wanted to be a lawyer. Can you imagine that? Me a lawyer? Ha!

Now I would lOVE to be an oncology nurse. Maybe when I retire in 11 years from teaching?