Thursday, February 11, 2010

Last fall I wrote this post and in it I talked about Teen growing up.

About a year or so ago he was really set on going to DeVry in Florida for their Game Programming Course. After some research we found out that a lot of other schools will not transfer DeVry credits. We also talked about how far away he would be and he wouldn’t be able to just come home for a weekend anytime and that he would probably miss a lot of holidays and such.

So then he was very interested in PTI in Pittsburgh. He went there with the Technology Class for a Car of the Future Competition last spring. They didn’t have exactly what he was looking for, but he could get a 2-year degree with a lot of the background programming courses he would need for the next phase.

Recently he found another school in Florida that offers exactly what he wants. Again we were back to the Florida thing, however, they offer their courses as 100% online.

So we went from moving halfway across the states to staying home…lol Wonder how many more times this will change before a final decision is made?

We let him know that if he was serious and wanted to take online courses that he was more than welcome to stay at home. He is worried about his brothers who were looking forward to their own rooms getting upset if he stays home. What a thoughtful kid. But we told him we would work something out.

Now I am not really sure how I feel. I am glad he is staying close to home, but I think I had my self all ready for him to leave also. I guess when he makes up his mind, I will make up mine.

Stacy

2 comments:

Jen said...

I am right there with you, Stacy!!

Matt went back and forth A LOT and I can see both sides - moving away would be a wonderful adventure and would give him a lot of grown-up life experience. Staying home would be more stable and less expensive - not to mention I wouldn't have to worry so much during his first year of college!

He made up his mind last fall and decided he is going to live at home the first year and attend the Jr College here in our little town. After his first year of college, he will move to Topeka and attend the university. And we checked - credits WILL transfer, thank goodness!

I don't want Matt to miss out on any of the fun and excitement of being a young adult, but I am sure breathing easier, knowing he will still be looked after for another year under my roof. :)

Becca said...

These are the things that I will never ever get to experience, so I can honestly say that I can see both sides, but without the emotions involved. I say see how he does for a year, if that is what he chooses to do, and go from there. I like Jen's idea, too, about the Jr. College route first.

Hugs...