Monday, June 8, 2009

Busy Bodies

Some of you have asked what I was upset about the other day. I didn't want to put it all out there on FB as I am trying to decided where to go with the whole situation yet.

Several months ago there was some issues that came up in a board meeting at church. It got pretty heated and several people left the church. ( I am not on the board and was not in the meeting ) One of the people who left is a very good friend of mine. I understand why she left, but I do not agree that she left. I feel that if there is something wrong going on, then she should have stayed and helped make things right. She knows how I feel.

Anyhow, a few weeks ago we had company over. There is a little establishment in town that has some really good wings and they are reasonably priced. So hubby called and ordered some wings and veggies. He and his friend ran down to pick them up. This place just happens to also be a bar.

One of the people who left the church apparently saw him coming out of a "bar". Remember, this person has not been to our church since Feb. But he proceeded to call the Pastor, who wasn't home so he talked to his wife, and told her that things are getting so bad at the church that their members are now frequenting bars.

The Pastors wife then took it upon herself to approach hubby during work hours to see if it was true. He was so upset that he didn't even tell her why he was at the "bar". He also brought up the point to her that he bowls on a league in an alley that has a "bar" and that other members of the church also bowl in this league (without bringing up names). She however, did tell Hubby who called her.

He was so upset with the whole situation that he told her that he will no longer be at church and he will also not be in the Ensemble that he has been singing in for years.

There are so many wrongs in this story that I don't even know where to begin.

I went to church Sunday morning, but worked in the nursery during the service. This was probably the best thing for me as I was afraid of what I might say.

I just don't understand what these people are thinking. Neither of them did it out of concern for my husband. One did it out of spite and the other did it out of not wanting the "church" to look bad. Sometimes I feel like not going back to my church myself, but again, what is that solving?

So right now, it is good for me to go to the Adult Sunday School Class and then work in the nursery. I may even head up to my Gram's old church next Sunday for service there. Guess I will have to wait and see what the week brings.

I know that Satan has gotten his foot in the door and is now wreaking havoc. I wish that others would see that too. That we would all stop tearing each other down and start building each other up again.

Most importantly I have to remember that when we are at our weakest, He (God) is at his strongest. He will take all of this bad and turn it into something wonderful.

Stacy

7 comments:

Guinevere said...

Having gone through "havoc" in our former church, and leaving, I will be praying for you. It's a very hard decision to make to leave (or it SHOULD be), and you're right, reconciliation IS always the best option. But sometimes... I will be praying earnestly for wisdom and direction for you. HUGS. I know how you feel...

ShanaM said...

That isn't the 'Christian' way to do things and I truly think that people often forget that! Good luck with it all!!

Chris said...

So sorry to hear this, Stacy. You're right: Satan is at work. But don't give in to the idea to leave the church just because some are making poor choices in their witnesses. They (we) are all human and are prone to error and give into sin, and we should be ready to forgive just as we have been forgiven. Easier said than done, I know, but perhaps that's the lesson to be learned.

Pray for healing in your heart and for God to open the hearts of those who have hurt you. Search for scripture help. Ask another pastor for help. Encourage your husband to do the same. If you're kids are aware of what's going on, allow them to see the healing you're attempting. Once you're prepared, share with those who have hurt you just like you did here. Matthew 18 gives the steps. We've also learned a lot from this ministry: www.peacemaker.net. Ken Sande's material here is excellent!

I'll be praying for you, your husband, and your church. Take care.

BEK said...

Sounds like Satan's favorite thing: LEGALISM!!!!

Mathew 18 gives you guidance on how to address problems within the church- sounds like Chris has pointed you in the right direction. Remember, if you and your husband don't do something you are not helping your church recover. A few years ago I would have said, LEAVE and don't turn back. But now I think when you have a home church you should try to be part of the Family- just like in our own families; you don't get to pick your family members! You get to learn how to live life better together. And if you have done everything you can and Satan still has a foot hold; you (you and hubby) will have to make the best decision for your immediate family

mitchowl said...

It always amazes me that a few busy-body judgemental people can take things so out of context and cause so much trouble. They will pay for their sin, maybe not in this life, but then again, maybe.

Unknown said...

This is soooo common, I'm finding. I'm sorry you all are having this trouble.. You're right, just PRAY! Then, maybe talk to the pastor and share your concerns.. that things are being done out of a wrong motive, and not pleasing to God. If he isn't responsive, you may have found the problem, and can focus your praying... and make your decisions...
hugs,
Jean

Becca said...

You know how I feel about this. I wish that people would mind their own. I am not the type of person to judge others, who gives us the right? I am keeping you in my thoughts and prayers.