Thursday, October 2, 2008

Like Mother, Like Son

Tonight was soccer. I am the team mom for Little S and so most games I watch him play.

Tonight when we got to the field we were the first ones there so we got to choose which side we wanted to be on. Normally when we are on field 2 we choose the left hand side. Tonight we chose the right hand side as there were two big mud holes on the other side. (I know, I know)

Anyhow, before they started the game I told Little S to stay out of the mud. It is one thing when he is home jumping in puddles with mud boots on and another when he has tennis shoes on. The other coach as well told her kids to stay away from the mud as much as possible. They also had an older sibling stand near the mud on the field to keep the ball away.

3rd quarter and all is well. Little S is now going to be the goalie. He is doing okay. The ball comes at him. He bends down stops the ball, picks it up and throws it back out into the field.

Then he completely freezes.
Looks at his hands and the mud on them and has no idea what to do.
He looks at me, looks at Teen and just stares at his hands. (I am starting to snicker at this point) Teen tells him to just wipe them on his pants and that it will be fine.
He looks at me and I just nod.
He wipes his hands and the game continues.

A little while later the ball is headed back towards him.
He looks at the ball, looks at his hands, looks back at the ball and watches it roll into the goal.

I just laugh. Really laugh. I can't even blame him. It is totally my fault. I am such a germ-a-phobe he can't help it. 4+ years of me constantly telling him to wash his hands has been burned into his mind, he can't have dirty hands.

I am so proud......LOL

Stacy

4 comments:

Tracie said...

LOL -- get him some goalie gloves!

Dory said...

LOL.... I agree with Tracie! Get that boy some *germ-protectoring-gloves* hehe

I sure hope he doesn't pick up Mama's fear of public restrooms. ;o)

Guinevere said...

LOL That has me literally laughing out loud!!! LOL Wow!

White Hot Magik said...

Don't you carry those wipes with you? Ha Ha. Too funny. Zach plays soccer too, but the Under 6 age group doesn't use goalies. Enjoyed the story that was good.