Friday, September 5, 2008

Stand Up To Cancer

At 8 PM (et/pt) 7 PM (ct) on Channels ABC, NBC & CBS Stand Up To Cancer will be televised. This is the first of it's kind collaboration of all of the networks. What a more wonderful way to bring them together than to help find a cure for cancer.

Did you know that 1500 people die each day. 1 in 2 men. 1 in 3 women. because of cancer.

If you go to the Stand Up To Cancer site you can find out much more information. And for $1 you can dedicate a star to someone that has cancer.

Why do I care about cancer?

Although I have never personally had cancer, I have been touched several times in my life by cancer.

My first experience with cancer was when I was 18 and about to graduate from High School. My dad was diagnosed with Pancreatic cancer in June 1989. By the time they found it, his whole gut was polluted with cancer. It had affected his stomach, liver, spleen, intestines, etc. They took what they could and started the treatments. Chemo is a terrible thing to have to go through and radiation is no picnic either. He lived until the end of February 1990. It was a terrible horrible way to die. He suffered and was in pain a lot of those few 8 months.

If I could go back and change anything from that time I would have urged him not to take the Chemo and radiation. He was so sick when they found it, that it didn't help him. That does not mean that Chemo does not help. I just think that in his situation it would have been better to just make him comfortable for the final months.


This is just one story and one example of the way cancer has touched my life. There are several more.

Aunt M - Breast
Grandma M - Breast
Kathy - Breast
Laurel - Breast
Amy - Cervical
Randy - Leukemia
Audra - Non-Hodgkin's Lymphoma
Cindy - Non-Hodgkin's Lymphoma

It is sad that I know this many so close to me. I can think of a few more that are friends of friends and some acquaintances along the way.

I encourage all of you to watch this very special event tonight as a tribute to all of those who have been touched with cancer in your life.

Stacy

1 comment:

White Hot Magik said...

Too bad we have our satellite turned off. Occasionally I will hear about something I want to watch. I hope the show does some good.